The Bangladesh Data Center Company Limited (BDCCL) is a storage company specializing in storing data. They use different types of virtualized storage to store the data, which large corporations primarily use. These companies make it their priority to provide reliable and fast access. In addition, it helps them meet the strict governmental requirements required for their protection. Bangladesh has started the world’s 7th Largest tier-IV data center to reach the vision of Digital Bangladesh.
Table of Contents
Bangladesh Data Center Company Limited (BDCCL)
The Tier Four (Tier-IV) Gold Fault-Tolerant Data Center has been established by obtaining Tier Certification of Operational Sustainability from the US-based Uptime Institute. Note that the only tier-IV national data center in Bangladesh recognized by Uptime Institute won the Asia Pacific “DCD-APAC Award 2019” in the “Data Center Construction Team of the Year” category by the UK-based Data Center Dynamics on September 16, 2019.
One of the features of this data center is the main two-storied building of the data center with 200,000 square feet, two utility buildings on either side and a reception building at the front; Redundancy in all crucial areas including power and internet connection to ensure uninterrupted operation and maintenance of data center.
The data center provides cloud computing, cloud desktop, cloud storage, data storage, backup, data security, and co-location services. A trained and skilled workforce operates this data center with 99.995% uptime to ensure 24×7 service.
History and Location
The Data Center on Cloud Computing and G-Cloud Technology has been on 6.00 acres of land at Bangabandhu Hi-Tech City, Kaliakair, Gazipur. It is the 7th largest data center globally, with zero downtime.
Hon’ble Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina inaugurated this state-of-the-art data center through a video conference on 26.11.2019. To run the data center smoothly, the proposal to form a company named “Bangladesh Data Center Company Limited (BDCCL)” was approved in the cabinet meeting on December 30, 2019.
The company’s registration titled “Bangladesh Data Center Company Limited (BDCCL)” was completed on September 18, 2020. The company is currently operating efficiently with infinite potentials.
From the cloud service of the data center, the customer is given a user ID and password by creating a virtual machine; Through which the customer can log in from any place and securely receive the service. In this case, the customer does not need to purchase or maintain any hardware/software, just the Internet or intranet. The customer can receive e-services safely.
On the other hand, in Co-location service, the customer is provided space with 4KW / 10KW power connection, cooling, world-class fire-fighting, security, internet/intranet, etc. In that case, the customer can receive the desired service by installing IT equipment of his choice. In this case, the customer has to maintain and operate the IT equipment installed by the customer.
BDCCL Vision and Mission
1. Tier-IV quality data center maintenance
- Develop a secure digital data repository to provide the best service.
- Achieve and retain international data center certification.
- Maintain all standards following international certification.
- Providing e-services according to international standards.
- To meet the objectives of BDCCL company MoA and AoA.
BDCCL services for their clients:
- – capacity storage capacity,
- – backup storage services backed up by redundant components activation and disc rotation.
- – managed backup storage with coverage of data collocation.
- – Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity services backing up the production, development, or operational server data to off-site locations in different geographical regions.
- – Storage of IT equipment and electronic system full coverage.
BDCCL uses its cloud storage services to store the data they are protecting. They also use corporate networks to store additional computer documents, emails, other files, and software development tools from developers when necessary by working on them directly to produce or publish new functions or applications.
tier-IV Data Center Technical Features:
- There are four cage halls with an area of about 2,000 square meters
- A total of 604 rack spaces
- 152 RAC rich modular data centers
- 40 Gbps internet and data connectivity
- 2 petabytes of cloud storage
- 2000 cloud desktop terminals644 physical servers
- A multilevel network defense system
- 8 2000 power transformers
- 2 2500 power transformers
- Two substations with 10.5 capacity of 33/11
Technical Features of Four Tier National Data Center Owned by (BDCCL):
- Uptime 99.995%
- Certified by the US-based Uptime Institute
- Received Asia Pacific “DCD-APAC Award 2019” in the category of “Data Center Construction Team of the Year” by U.K.-based Data Center Dynamics
- Redundancy: 2N + 1
- 24×7 service facility
- Cloud service facility
- Co-location service facility
- 2 lakh square feet data center
- There are four cages: each with an area of about 2000 square meters.
- There are 604 rack spaces with 42U, 2000 * 1200 * 600mm space, 4KW, and 10 KW capacity.
- The latest technology fire fighting system
- 152 RAC rich modular data centers to provide cloud services
- Advantages of Managed Service through skilled technical human resources
- High-speed internet and data connectivity facility with a maximum capacity of 40 Gbps
- 2-petabyte cloud storage, which is expandable up to 200 petabytes
- 644 physical servers
- A multi-layered network defense system
- Total eight high capacity (each with 2.5 MVA capacity) generators
- A total of 48 CCTV full-time monitoring system
- Eight 2000 KVA and two 2500 KVA power transformers
- Two substations with a 10.5 MVA capacity of 33/11 KV
Significant benefits of using the “Tier-IV National Data Center.”
- Keep data safe and secure.
- Avoid the hassle of buying and cutting hardware software and related equipment using the data center and save time.
- Save money by using data centers.
- Above all, prevent corruption by using government data centers.
Service delivery method:
1. Accept customer demand first.
2. Determining the capacity of the data center according to the demand.
3. Customer and BDCCL representatives review and finalize demand and service pricing.
4. Execution of Service Agreement.
5. Provision of services and collection of service charges as per Service Agreement.
NB. The Finance Division has opened an Economic Code (Code No. 3256306) entitled “Data Storage Expenses” which all Ministries / Departments / Agencies can use to allocate their required funds.
The National Data Centre in Bangabandhu Hi-Tech City in Kaliakoir, Joydebpur, has recently shown the potential to be a significant source of foreign investment and income. According to reports, foreign corporations are interested in storing their company data there. Opening the world’s 7th largest data center, which has already saved the country’s foreign currency in millions of dollars, will reduce its foreign dependence on data preservation.
The Tier-IV Data Center is now generating because Bangladeshi firms do not wish to store their data in distant lands. 353 core annually, according to officials of Bangladesh Data Centre Company Limited (BDCCL ).
ZTE Corporation has partnered the project with the government of Bangladesh. The experiences and reputation of ZTE made the deal and construction successful. ZTE won the Data Center Construction Team of the Year award 2019 for the successful completion of the project.
ZTE Corporation has received the Data Center Construction Team of the Year award at the DCD (DataCenterDynamics) Asia Pacific Awards 2019 ceremony in Singapore for their outstanding performance in constructing the country’s first Tier IV National Data Center (NDC).
The ZTE construction team had overcome a series of hurdles during the construction of the data center, such as inconvenient transportation, unstable power supply, and bad weather, by finishing the project on time and with high quality, thanks to its excellent design capability, leading product performance, scientific project management, and continuous delivery.
Since 2016, ZTE has won DCD awards for four consecutive years, including the Modular Deployment Award and the Internet Data Center Award in 2016, the Excellence in Data Center Operations award in 2017, and the Design Team of the Year award 2018. These awards encompass the complete life cycle of a data center, from design, construction, operation, and maintenance, and fully show ZTE’s end-to-end strength in the data center field.
ZTE has partnered with more than 260 projects worldwide, with the strength in design and construction of Uptime Tier IV, the highest level in the industry. A powerful data center product team of more than 1,500 engineers and technical experts has made the task possible with reputation.
Vincent Liu, CEO of ZTE Corporation Bangladesh Limited, thanked the Bangladesh government for partnering with them in building Digital Bangladesh. The contract and support helped them win prestigious recognition worldwide.
According to State Minister for ICT Division Zunaid Ahmed Palak, the Data Center is the “brain” of Digital Bangladesh, with 55,000 websites, 11 crore National Identity Cards, e-Nothi, Surokkha, and the registration system. He said, “We believe we could launch Oracle technology’s G-Cloud in the next six or twelve months, and that the Data Centre based on G- Cloud will have an unlimited capacity of saving data.”
G-Cloud is being built using Oracle technology as part of an initiative. When the G-Cloud of Oracle technology is established in the Centre, it will be able to provide Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a service (PaaS ), and software as a service (SaaS) services, saving the company $45 million in purchasing and extending the Oracle license.
BDCCL ( Bangladesh Data Center Company Limited ) chooses Oracle Dedicated Region Cloud@Customer (DRCC) as Bangladesh’s first-ever Government Cloud. The contract was signed on December 12, 2021, between BDCCL and Oracle.
In addition, it will be the Data Localized, and Standalone Backup and the Oracle G-Cloud will provide secure protection of information from all government offices, ministries, divisions, and agencies. The Tier IV National Data Centre construction started in 2016 on a two-lakh square feet space with Chinese financial and technical assistance and ended in June 2019.
According to BDCCL officials, “it will be Southeast Asia’s best G-Cloud platform.” So far, the Election Commission, nine government offices, state-run banks, and the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics’ e-filing systems and a2i have all deposited their data at the facility. They said that another twelve organizations are in the last stages of signing an agreement to provide the services and that the data entre’s daily income is now Tk. 1.97 crore, while its expenditure is Tk 3.98 crore.
Bangladesh has taken so many initiatives to go digital. Digital Bangladesh is a priority for the government. All that requires for facilitating including the celebration of a dedicated day for digital Bangladesh have been implemented. The establishment of the tier-iv data center is a triumphant initiative. Bangladesh will benefit from the data center financially and strategically. Security aspects are also prominent.